If you guys have been planning events for quite some time now, you would agree with me having a set of admin instructions is rather crucial.
What is an admin instruction?
Basically it is like a manual with all the necessary info, details, SOPs (Standard Operational Procedures), contact numbers and many many more useful stuffs!
Lets look at some of the information that can be in an admin instruction manual,
1. Programme Sheet
2. Communications Plan
3. Evacuation Procedures
4. Contact List
5. Movement Plan
6. Duty Roster
7. Location Map
8. Amenities around the event location
9. Rules and Regulations
10. FAQ list of things patrons will ask or your staff themselves would enquire
11. Many more!
As you can already see, it is basically a compress version of the overall event, minus the nitty-gritty details of course. Not all the things listed above apply to all events and I’m sure there are many other unique things you can include in the admin instructions as per your event requirements.
There are many advantages in having an admin instructions manual and distributing it to your key personnel.
1. Everybody will have the same alignment towards the flow and expectation of the event
2. Save YOU time from answering the same questions repeatedly
3. Your staff and crew will have answers available readily
4. Minimize miscommunication among staffs
5. Half the battle of ensuring the event running smoothly has been won! (The other half is the unpredictable human behavior. Know what I’m saying? :] )
As for disadvantages… there are almost none!
I guess the only thing to take note is that you would need to enforce the reading of the manual before the commencement of the event and maybe you can test your crew on the information found in the manual as well.
Do consider having an admin instruction for you next event! It will definitely improve your event efficiency and save you lots of time to focus more on what is important. Managing the Event! :]
Hope you find this useful! Cheers!
p.s. Do email me if you have further enquiries on how to get started with the manual. I’d be glad to assist!